It's 3:18am, and as per every pregnancy right around this time...I forget how to sleep. This is another one of God's gifts to me, no doubt. Every time, without fail this happens. When I was pregnant with Jacob I thought it was nerves, with Ben I chalked it up to excitement. I had been there before and I just couldn't wait to meet him and see if he looked like his big brother. I couldn't wait to see how Jacob reacted to him, etc. By the time I became sleepless during my pregnancy with Eli I considered myself (as I still do!) a "Pregnancy Professional". With Eli, it wasn't so distant a memory the lack of sleep a newborn provides. It was then that it was clear that God was preparing me to be awake, nightly, for at least the next 18-25 years. Even when I'm not pregnant, I wake up to cover the babes and listen to their little breaths. Hmmm...maybe I am more of the sleep problem than the solution around here?
The best part about being awake in the middle of the night is the opportunity to do whatever you want. My first thought tonight was to organize the linen closet but considering that it's smack between the boys' bedrooms I was not going to take that risk. So, here I type with xm radio on, Giana kicking like a champ...and I am enjoying every minute of this bliss. In three short weeks, life as we know it will change forever. Giana will join our family and I will no longer be entirely outnumbered around here:) The estrogen level is going up folks! Woohoo! Rob thinks that, like the boys she will rack overnight hours watching Sportscenter with him. Perhaps she will, but I'm secretly hoping that she'd rather watch a middle-of-the-night cooking show or the home shopping network just to mix things up.
Of course, I can't wait to hear her first cry and see if she has my curly hair. I can't wait to kiss her little toes and smell her. I can't wait to find out if she has my sweet tooth or is a salt fan like daddy. I can't wait to see if she sucks her thumb or fingers or binkie. I can't wait to see if the boys instinctively protect their baby sister. I can't wait to see how pink looks on our life. I so look forward to meeting the blessing that is our baby girl Giana.

No comments:
Post a Comment