Friday, April 18, 2008

Supernanny - help my insomniac children!

I officially need the Supernanny. I know I shouldn't complain, my boys are generally very well behaved. Most of you haven't been here at bedtime though. Our pleasant home is turned emotionally upside-down on most nights. Jacob protests that it's not dark out yet. Ben needs sleep assistance beyond the companionship of Buzz Lightyear and Woody. Eli, until recently has been a wonderful sleeper but is catching on to his big brothers' antics I'm afraid.

Here we are tonight at 8pm, I spent 40 minutes laying down with Ben, wrestling to keep him from escaping, only to give up and bring him downstairs. Here I type with Toy Story on in the background. Jacob is "helping" Rob paint the family room, despite the fact that he and Ben just got squeaky clean in the bath. Eli cried hysterically for the 40 minutes I was wrestling Ben. I cuddled and rocked him in his room until he was drowsy and finally gave into some zzzz's.

I've tried it all folks. I've tried bath, book, bed...snacks, bath, book, bed. I've sung them to sleep, rocked them to sleep, danced them to sleep. I've tried lullaby music and ocean sounds. I've cried because these boys just finally break me. If anyone has advice - please please email me. It has got to be good though, like a top secret family sleep secret or something.
Are they overstimulated during the day? Understimulated? Overtired? They certainly can't not be tired. That's impossible. They most certainly are not hungry. The bath isn't relaxing, it's a splash party. I just don't know and I feel like a failure in this area of motherhood.

So, if anyone has a direct line to the Supernanny or some other British wonder with children - send 'em my way. I'm tired.



Dana

No comments:

JJ Heller - Your Hands